We had such fun visiting Grandpa Mike and Grandma Nona. Michael had Monday and Tuesday off of school for Parent Teacher Conferences, so we decided to take a vacation. We left Friday (Halloween) morning about 4:30am and drove down to Huntsville, AL. The drive was great, it actually went by quite quickly (my kids are awesome!). Grandpa and I made chili and cornbread for dinner and then we headed out trick-or-treating. Michael was an awesome brother. He helped guide his sisters and held their hands. Emma was always the first one to say "thank you." And Sarah would just walk up to each door and yell "trunk-or-treat" and then barge right in when someone opened the door. It was so much fun to see their personalities.

On Saturday got to go see where Grandpa works, inside Redstone Arsenal. The Tennessee River runs along one of the edges of the Arsenal and we played there for a while, skipping rocks and falling into the river.

Then we headed down to the cabin at Smith Lake. We got to spend a few days there and it was a blast. We did a lot of fishing off of their dock. From the early morning . . .

. . . until late at night. One night our sweet Michael fell asleep while he was fishing (the girls were already in bed long before). After we took Michael up to bed Grandpa, Ben and I continued to fish until about 11:30p.

All of us had a great time driving around in "The Mule." The kids especially loved riding in the back.

Out in front of the cabin they have a fire pit. We roasted hot dogs and made Smores. Emma said "it was her best day ever."



If you were wondering how cold it is in Alabama in November . . . apparently it is warm enough to wade to your bellybutton. Emma was very proud that she made it out to the island.

Our last day in Alabama was spent at the Marshall Space Center. It was pretty awesome. [Side note: Grandma and Grandpa got engaged under the space shuttle you see in the background.]

And for all you
Space Camp lovers out there . . . this is where you can attend space camp. Maybe in a few years we will come and spend the week with Grandpa and Grandma and Michael can go to Space Camp.

As we were walking along Michael wanted to demonstrate to us how the astronauts sat in their seats during lift-off.

So, Sarah wanted to demonstrate too. That's just what little sisters do.

We had such a wonderful trip to Alabama. And it
did feel like home. Thanks Grandpa and Grandma.
6 comments:
Betz that looks so fun. Spur of the moment trips are always so fun. I was to see a picture of the cabin. I miss the warm south in the winter. How long was the drive?? I love you guys and we miss you!
Love to see that cute family. Keep up the posting.
That looks like it was a great trip. Mike fits in well with all you gals who love to fish. You know I love space camp. I hope they still JINX!
Bets I love the pics and the stories...i can imagine I was there and wish I was! I love to watch those sweet kidlets grow up -- especially when you are all so far away. I can't beleive you'll be in SLC a month from today. YAHOO!
I'm glad you got to go. I bet your mom and kids loved it. How many hours is the trip?
Looks like a fabulous weekend, and I am sure that your Mom was thrilled to have you visit. I am a total nerd, because I actually went to Space Camp (the Florida version) when I was in 5th grade. I loved it and Dave still gets jealous when I talk about it.
Post a Comment