Friday, June 1, 2012

May 11 -- Grandpa Gary's Birthday

My Dad was an amazing person.  I know that I didn't appreciate him as much as I should have.  I think/hope that the reason for that was that I was young and didn't yet appreciate what a wonderful Dad he was.  As I think back on him now I think that one of the most admirable traits that he had was that of always trying to be better.  He was always reevaluating himself and striving to be more like Jesus.  My Dad was full of love!  He always pulled you in for a hug (the biggest bear hug).  I always felt so safe and so loved in his arms.  He would always strive to make others feel comfortable.  He went out of his way to learn what people were interested, learn about that subject and the next time he saw that person he would chat with them about their interests.  He was always thinking of others.  I always felt like I was the most important thing in his life.  He always had time for me and was always interested in what I was doing.  He was my biggest fan!  My Dad was an amazing person and I am so glad that I was able to spend 21 years with him.

Bear Lake 1987

On his birthday, my Dad always wanted to go to a baseball game.  We would always pack up hot dogs and snacks and go to the Cottonwood Complex in SLC, UT and watch whatever game was on.  It was so fun to sit together outside and chat and watch and eat.  We loved to catch fly balls and just goof around.
 
So, on his birthday, we celebrated him by going to a Flying Squirrels game.  It was so much fun.  Happy Birthday Dad!



We even won a hat!

3 comments:

Charbie & Colbyo said...

Awesome!

Noni said...

He was a fantastic Dad & husband! I am so glad that we do our traditions that help us remember details about him & feel his sweet, happy spirit. He would have laughed heartily to hear you were watching "Flying Squirrels" play baseball to honor him!

Katie E. said...

Even though we are across the country it is fun to know we celebrated his birthday the same way (except we went to the Bees)! He'd be proud! Love you!