Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Too Much Of A Good Thing?

I have never been a big fan of the dentist. And in the past I have been known to avoid making appointments. But, last year during our trip out to Utah we had to take Michael to the dentist to get two "emergency" pulpectomys (kid root canals). So, I thought I would make an effort to get us all to the dentist before this year's trip to Utah.

It all started about two weeks ago Ben went to the dentist on Thursday . . . check. I had an appointment on Friday . . . check (much to my surprise I didn't have any cavities). Then the next Tuesday Michael and Emma had back-to-back appointments. Our fabulous friend and wonderful dentist found three small cavities on Emma which were between her front teeth. We scheduled her second appointment for today, and she did great.


Then Michael . . . oh Michael. He must have bad genes. We discovered that one of his pulpectomies from last year had gone bad and that the tooth had to be pulled. So the next morning we got an appointment with a Pediatric Dentist for a consult. He concluded that the tooth must be pulled and a space holder had to be put in. Then directly after that appointment we went back to our dentist to get some cavities filled that had been discovered during his cleaning. Then, the next morning we went back to the Pediatric Dentist to have the tooth pulled. They sedated him with Versed, used nitrous oxide and a local. They pulled the tooth, but had to dig for the roots because the tooth had separated form them. Michael did such an awesome job, he was very brave. They wheeled him out to the car in a wheelchair. He was pretty hilarious to hang out with for the next hour or so.


Only one more appointment left (putting his space saver in), which is scheduled for the day after we get back from Utah.

As much as we love our dentist (he's actually one of our very best friends -- thanks Scott), we have definitely had our fill for a while (slight pun intended).

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Michael, You are much so braver than me. Good work. Grandpa Gene

Andrea said...

I am so sad I missed you! I ran after your car as you pulled away from sledding, but was not loud enough! So sad! We are excited to be expecting baby #5, but the mornings can be a bit rough! I hear you had a great vacation, and know that Lisa is still in withdrawals! So glad I can keep tabs on you here! Miss you guys!